Monday, October 7, 2013

The Thief Lord, by Cornelia Funke


Bo and Prosper have run away from their aunt, who wants to separate them, and are now in Venice, Italy.  They are accepted by a small band of children, all runaways, who are all taken care of by a boy named Scipio, the Thief Lord. None of the children know anything about the Thief Lord, who gives them stolen items to sell.
They are quite happy in the short time that they live in the small abandoned movie theater, but soon discover that a detective has been hired to find Prosper and Bo. Their lives are turned upside down as they work to escape from him, and also as they work to help Scipio in his plans to break into a house. The job is risky, but the mysterious Conte who has hired them offers much in reward.

I don't think I cared for this book that much, but I did like the first part of the book; however, I didn't like that there was magic in the second half of the book, because it was the real world until the author added that. The ending was alright, but some of it made me sad.
Scipio has no regard for his parents, and doesn't really seem content with any of his real life, which makes me angry. He reminds me of Peter Pan; however, because Scipio lives in the real world, it just made him sound immature.
The rest of the children I really loved, because they all took care of and watched out for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment