Monday, January 27, 2014

Chasing Redbird, by Sharon Creech

Zinnia, or Zinny, as she prefers to go by, has been feeling very trapped in her house of nine. Nothing is hers, no space is hers, and ever since her Aunt Jessie died she doesn't have any place to go when she needs to breathe.
One day she discovers a trail, one completely overgrown. After looking up maps, she discovers it goes all the way to the next town, twenty miles long, and takes it upon herself to clear the trail. It is her way of finding herself, and of trying to do something different.



This story was super sweet, and Creech's writing is impeccable. All writing rules are applied, but it also flows very nicely.
The only thing is, I'm not sure I would recommend it. I love this kind of genre, and it is very thought-provoking, and that is the way I write. However, my sister is not that kind. Another of Creech's stories, Walk Two Moons, she didn't like at all. She is not one for anything that is strange at all, or weird, or doesn't make a ton of sense.
For example: in Chasing Redbird, her uncle used to sing this song with Zinny's aunt. He would sing sort of a boogie, and she would respond with "Make the company jump!" We have absolutely no idea why; my sister wouldn't have liked that at all, but I like quirky things like that. I would describe Creech as.....a bit eccentric.

No comments:

Post a Comment